Father of Grenfell’s youngest victim tells of family’s enduring pain

‘We had been preparing for a birth, not a funeral’: Heartbroken father of Grenfell’s youngest victim tells inquiry how visiting his baby son’s grave is a constant reminder of the disaster

  • Grenfell Tower residents are giving evidence at the inquiry into the fire
  • Father tells how his baby was stillborn after his family escaped the blaze
  • He said: ‘Visiting our precious, baby boy at a cemetery is a continuous reminder of what happened’

Marcio Gomes, pictured with his wife Andreia in May, has told the Grenfell Tower inquiry of the enduring pain from the loss of their baby, who was stillborn after they escaped the fire

The father of the youngest victim of the Grenfell Tower fire has said visiting his baby son in a cemetery is a continuous reminder of the disaster.

Logan Gomes was stillborn in hospital after his mother Andreia and father Marcio escaped from the 21st floor with their two young girls.

Mr Gomes, who lived with his family in flat 183, said his children ‘suffered an event of such magnitude’ that its impact on them ‘will probably scar them for the rest of their lives’.

His wife Andreia was seven months pregnant at the time of the fire.

In a written statement to the public inquiry into the Grenfell disaster, Mr Gomes said: ‘We lost our son, Logan, who died in hospital.

‘We had to bury him shortly after. We had been preparing for a birth, not for a funeral.

‘Visiting our precious, baby boy at a cemetery is a continuous reminder of what has happened to our family, and this will be the lasting reminder for the rest of our lives.

‘As a family we have constant ups and downs. There are good days and there are bad days.

‘Luckily, we have been there for each other and supporting one another through those bad days.’

Mr Gomes previously broke down at the inquiry. He is pictured giving evidence in May

The family released a photo of their son, Logan, who tragically died after they escaped the fire


  • Gagging clauses have BANNED hundreds of charities and…


    Three of the ‘Grenfell Six’ have their Conservative Club…

Share this article

In his statement, Mr Gomes said: ‘This event has had a huge impact on my relationship with Andreia, but thankfully we have been able to get over the bad months.’

He added: ‘The psychological affects are on-going, as my daughters remember tripping over dead and unconscious people as they were coming down the stairs.

‘Thankfully, because it was so dark, they could not see who they were tripping over but they do still remember this.

‘I think this is something that will not leave them for some time.

‘We do try and speak to each other about the disaster, as a family. We do not try and hide anything.’

Mr Gomes said the blaze has had a huge impact on him, his wife and two daughters

The family lived in this flat, on the 21st floor of Grenfell Tower. They all inhaled thick smoke during their escape

Mr Gomes wrote in his statement: ‘The fire has had a huge impact on my family and on me.

‘None of us are ever going to be the same again. Our lives changed in the early hours of the morning of June 14 2017.

‘We are trying our best to get back to normal but we know we will never get back to our normal lives, as the fire has now defined our lives since June 14 2017.

‘My children suffered an event of such magnitude and disaster, that its impact on them will probably scar them for the rest of their lives.

‘I fear, deeply, for the long-term damage to their health and of all of us who inhaled the smoke in that Tower, that morning.’

A total of 72 people died as a result of the blaze in the west London tower block on June 14 last year.

The public inquiry is in its first phase at Holborn Bars in central London and is hearing evidence from survivors of the fire and those who lost loved ones. 

 

Source: Read Full Article