SNAPSHOT OF THE 2018 AFL ANZAC DAY GAME:
* Result: Collingwood 14.17 (101) d. Essendon 7.10 (52) in front of 91,440 fans at the MCG.
* Key moment: Trailing by 17 points at halftime and down two rotations, the Bombers needed a strong start to the third quarter. But the mercurial Jake Stringer missed a sitter and the Magpies quickly made them pay. Goals to Jaidyn Stephenson and Adam Treloar extended their lead to 22 points and it was all Collingwood from there.
* The star: Collingwood skipper Scott Pendlebury looked on track for a record- equalling third Anzac Medal but was pipped by midfield teammate Adam Treloar, who surged home to finish with 34 disposals, two goals and 13 score involvements.
* Quote: "It means a lot to come out today on such a special occasion … the boys just really wanted to play with respect and honour the day and I think we really did that." – Magpies ruckman Brodie Grundy.
* Tribunal watch: Neither team should have anything to worry about with no obvious incidents for match review officer Michael Christian to run the rule over.
* Injuries: Essendon forward Josh Begley twisted his right knee badly in the first quarter and could face a lengthy stint on the sidelines. The Bombers also lost Josh Green to a hamstring issue during the second quarter. Collingwood's Will Hoskin-Elliott played out the game with his right shoulder strapped while Ben Crocker had ice on his calf late in the fourth quarter.
* What's next: Both sides have to contend with a four-day turnaround. The Magpies take on ladder-leaders and reigning premiers Richmond at the MCG on Sunday while the Bombers will host Melbourne at Etihad Stadium.
Source: Read Full Article