COPS shot a teenage boy twice the back before officers then used their hands to remove the bullets before paramedics arrived, a lawsuit claims.
The legal action alleges that police in Hayward, California, blasted the 17-year-old in the back twice during protests over the death of George Floyd in June.
According to the lawsuit, cops opened fire at around 4am local time outside a CVS store on June 1.
The teen – who is not named – is claimed to have fallen asleep in his cousin's car after going to a music video shoot in Oakland.
He claims when he woke up, his cousin was no longer there and his cell phone had died.
The "frightened" teen, from Stockton, then attempted to drive away from the scene after hearing loud noises, the suit claims.
He then drove past officers who had pulled over another vehicle, and claims they opened fire – hitting him twice in the back.
The teen then crashed and claims he then hid in the bushes out of fear after being shot.
Cops found him and then allegedly used their hands to remove the bullets from the boy before the arrival of paramedics.
Hayward Police however claim cops opened fire on the vehicle as they believed it was heading straight for officer Samuel Tomlinson.
He was standing next to his patrol car when he spotted the other vehicle.
Tomlinson and his partner Stephen Akacsos then both fired their weapons as they believed the car was a danger.
The teen's attorney Adante Pointer claims the incident was "barbaric" and the cops' actions could have caused "severe damage", reports The Mercury News.
He tweeted pictures allegedly showing the two gunshot wounds on the boy's back on Christmas Day.
Mr Pointer said: "It’s barbaric the way in which they tried to minimize the harm they caused this young man.
"It’s completely inappropriate and fortunately it didn’t cause more severe damage to him."
He said the officers "took the bullets out and hauled him off to Juvenile Hall".
The teen was arrested on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon against a police officer and treated for a "grazing wound".
According to Pointer however, the Alameda County District Attorney’s Office has dropped the assault charge.
He said: "This is Exhibit A of a police department which seeks to vilify the victim and justify the shooting. The public should be very concerned."
Jael Barnes, the boy's mother, previously said in June: "I feel like all they saw was a black face and just believed he did (a crime).
"Not only does he now have these physical wounds, he has these mental wounds, as well, which will never go away."
At the time of the incident, KTVU reported it was the third-officer involved shooting in just 12 days.
Prior to the gunfire, cops wounded a 61-year-old who had a knife and killed a suspect who was accused of murdering a homeless man.
Pointer said: "Anytime you have a rash of police shootings, in particular at one department, it should be cause for concern."
City Attorney Michael Lawson declined to comment further as he said the city had not yet been served the lawsuit.
Source: Read Full Article