Boy, 9, left with sickening scars across entire foot after standing on BBQ

A father has called for disposable barbecues to be banned after his son was left permanently disfigured by one.

In June 2020, Toby Tyler’s nine-year-old lad Will, stepped on to an extremely hot piece of sand on Formby beach, where a barbecue had taken place, leaving him with lifelong scars across his entire left foot.

His dad had to carry him for 20 minutes to the car, before then rushing him to hospital with his wife Claire and daughter Lily.

READ NEXT: Man found dead after 'horrific attack' had jetset lifestyle with £100k in dirty money

Toby revealed that not only did Will, now 11, had to have numerous skin grafts from his right thigh to his left foot at Manchester Children’s Hospital, but the trauma of the accident is still affecting him, two years on.

The Year 6 pupil still has to go back to hospital every six to eight weeks for checks – a process which will continue until he stops growing.

“He has to wear a compression sock all the time, including at school and in swimming and PE,” said schoolteacher Toby.

“He has massages twice a day, a splint as well as frequent and regular visits to the hospital’s burns unit and psychosocial support unit.

“Has to wear special UV shoes – so very vulnerable to sunlight so doesn’t get that feeling any more to walk in sand.

"He suffered from quite bad anxiety attacks and there was a strong feeling of PTSD affecting him. I think its evolving now and he has been diagnosed with autism since the trauma.

“I think it has probably always been an issue for Will, but the accident has opened or exaggerated pathways.”

To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

Toby, from Stockport, launched a petition calling for a ban because he believed there are “far too many risks and dangers” associated with disposable barbecues.

“They are awful things and don’t even cook food very well,” he added. “There are so many reasons not to use them and there are so many better far better alternatives.”

His comments were backed by Brian George – better known as the Grillmaster – who said: “We have been calling for retailers to ditch the disposable since 2020 and this is a prime example of the dire need for a nationwide ban.

“They may be cheap to buy, but they have a heavy environmental price. While some national retailers have already put partial bans in place, it’s simply not enough, retailers need to enforce a complete ban or else the UK government needs to step in enforce a ban!

"I would encourage shoppers to send them a clear message not to buy them and that they have no place on shop shelves in 2022.

“As we’ve said many, many times, Ditch the Disposable.”


  • Brazen couple 'had sex in men's bathroom' of restaurant and left behind wedding ring
  • Punters to bring 'suitcase of wine' as 128K set to descend on No 10 for Boris leaving do
  • Eamonn Holmes reignites ITV feud as he labels network 'ministry of lies'
  • BBC The One Show taken off air until next week in major channel schedule shake-up
  • Meghan Markle spotted at 4th of July celebration with Archie waving US flag

Source: Read Full Article