South Auckland fatal hit-and-run crash: Up to 30 people handcuffed in Māngere, heavy police presence

Up to 30 people are in handcuffs and being questioned by police after a hit-and-run crash which left one person dead in Auckland this morning.

A witness at the scene in Māngere said 20-30 people had been restrained across two scenes, while they were questioned amid a heavy police presence of about 15-20 officers.

Counties Manukau CIB’s acting Detective Inspector Karen Bright said police received numerous reports about the incident just before midday, where a man had been hit by a vehicle.

“The vehicle involved fled the area immediately afterwards. Emergency services attended the scene but sadly the man died shortly after.”

Early reports suggested a firearm may have been involved in the incident and as a precaution, armed staff responded to the area.

Police had not located a firearm.

“Police immediately made inquiries in the Māngere area following the incident,” Bright said.

This afternoon, police had been at an address near the scene where they were speaking to numerous people. No arrests have been made.

“Our investigation is still in the early stage and detectives will now work to piece together the full set of circumstances of what has occurred.”

Police would like to hear from any witnesses to the incident or anyone who was on Thomas Rd at the time. They can contact police on 105 quoting the file number 210609/0607.

The incident, which occurred about 11.45am, forced nearby Thomas Rd and Jordan Rd to close.

The witness told the Herald armed police had also blocked an area of Pukaki Rd, which was about five minutes down Massey Rd from the scene of the suspected hit-and-run incident.

It is understood Pukaki Rd was now open with a heavy police presence. It is believed thehit-and-run took place on Thomas Rd while a separate incident occurred on Pukaki Rd.

About a dozen officers were currently on site at the Thomas Rd scene.

A vehicle with smashed out windows could be seen in a car park off Bader Drive.

A St John spokesperson said two ambulances were sent to the scene.

In an earlier statement, police said they were responding to an incident where a person had been hit by a vehicle and died at the scene.

The Serious Crash Unit was examining the scene and police were making inquiries into the vehicle involved.

“These inquiries are still in the early stages and a further update will be provided once available,” said a police spokesperson.

Source: Read Full Article