I'm a pest expert…scratching is the worst thing you can do if you’re stung by a bee – you may get a serious health issue | The Sun

A PEST expert has warned scratching after a bee sting is the worst thing a person can do – and could cause a serious health issue.

During the summer months, the Queen bee is laying more eggs – meaning its peak time for everyone to get stung.

A bee sting can cause a temporary sharp pain and puncture wound, before potentially leading to redness, warmth, itching and swelling.

In the most serious cases, such a sting can lead to a life-threatening reaction.

Dr Naheed Ali, who works for the Worcestershire Royal Hospital, advised that it is "crucial" to know how to respond if stung by a bee.

But she also explained exactly what not to do in such a case, too.

Read more health

You have the eyes of a hawk if you can spot 4 drone bees in less than 10 second

People are just discovering what bees do in the dark – they think it’s ‘unnerving’

Dr Ali told MailOnline: "Though it might be tempting, don't scratch the affected area.

"Scratching might bring temporary relief but could lead to complications, including infection."

Instead, she advised to opt for a cold compress such as a flannel, ice pack or a cloth cooled with cold water.

Applying the cold compress for 10 to 20 minutes should ease swelling, she adds.

Most read in Health


My 'thick' legs get me bullied – but it's because of an incurable condition


What nail ridges or white spots reveal about your risk of silent killers


Warning to holidaymakers heading to US over new bug with '70% mortality rate'


Doctor shares the vital reason you should NEVER tweeze or wax your nose hair

She warned against using products such as vinegar or bicarbonate of soda, which are unlikely to help and may make matters worse.

Dr Helen Evans-Howells runs the Dr Helen Allergy private clinic operating across Bournemouth and Dorchester.

She advised a "scrape don't squeeze" method of tackling bee stings.

This is achieved by flicking the tail end of the sting with something like a credit card, which will eliminate the venom.

Should anyone begin to feel particularly ill, it is recommended they taken an antihistamine.

Source: Read Full Article