THE annual curtain raiser to the Premier League season, the Community Shield, is here!
This year Treble winners' Man City are taking on Arsenal, who finish second in the Prem.
Does the Community Shield go to extra-time?
No. The match goes straight to penalties after extra-time if the score is level after 90 minutes.
Since 1993, the Community Shield has gone to penalties and is not shared between the teams if it is a draw.
Between 1949 and 1991, the shield was shared 11 times.
MOST READ IN FOOTBALL
Chelsea Caicedo boost, £78m Gvardiol to City DONE, Bayern make £90m Kane bid
Mason Greenwood teammates' verdict in, £72m Hojlund deal ANNOUNCED
Pep embraces Walker after meal where he 'persuaded him to stay at City'
Man City eye Brighton raid for Mitoma and it could be bad news for Chelsea
Why are Arsenal playing in the Community Shield?
Arsenal will participate in the Wembley showpiece having finished second in the Premier League last season.
The rules of the Community Shield state that if a team wins both the Premier League and the FA Cup in the same campaign, then the division runners-up get a shot at the early silverware.
Manchester City pegged back long-term leaders Arsenal to finish top of English top-flight football for the 2022/23 campaign.
And they followed that up with a nailbiting 2-1 FA Cup final win over local rivals Manchester United.
When is the Community Shield?
- The Community Shield between Arsenal and Manchester City will take place on Sunday, August 6.
- It is scheduled to get underway at 4pm BST.
- Wembley Stadium is the allocated arena for this huge curtain-raiser and it can host approximately 90,000 roaring fans.
What TV channel is the Community Shield on?
- The Community Shield will be broadcast LIVE on ITV 1 in the UK.
- Coverage will begin at 3:15pm BST – 45 minutes before kick-off.
- Mark Pougatch will be joined by Roy Keane and Emma Hayes to present the Community Shield on ITV 1.
Source: Read Full Article