I'm furious after my son, 10, burnt his hand at school using a glue gun – I didn't find out until he got home

A MUM is livid after her son burnt his hand using a glue gun at school – and she didn't find out until he got home.

Jenna Anderson said 10-year-old Taylen was in serious pain with his skin was hanging off when he returned from Meridian Angel Primary in Edmonton, North London, on Friday.

She was "shocked" by his injuries, but even more astonished as it was the first she was hearing of them.

The 31-year-old said: "He came home saying that he wanted ice and some medicine so I asked what happened and he said he burned himself at school.

"I was shocked. The school hadn't called me.

"When I looked at his hand, I could see he had two blisters. One was leaking.

"He was in a lot of pain because the skin had come off on the top."


I’m a traveller mum and I’ve had to pull my kids out of THREE schools

My son has been excluded from school after taking a TOY GUN to McDonald’s

Jenna immediately called 111 and was advised to take Taylen to hospital where they cleaned his wounds and bandaged him up.

Doctors also recommended he take medication for the pain, and return to the hospital three days later. 

While relieved her son is on the mend, Jenna is furious with teachers for allowing it to happen in the first place – and never telling her. 

She said: "His teacher was supposed to be supervising and she left the children alone with hot glue guns.

Most read in The Sun


Naseem Hamed pictured near Windsor after renting £1.4m house next to Queen


I’m a working mum-of-three but I won’t give up my council house – I deserve it


Ex-Emmerdale actor Adam Thomas signs up for this year's Strictly


Sam Faiers reveals her kids were there when she gave birth – and Rosie helped

"She also failed to get him medical attention, she just sent him to the bathroom to wash his hands, and she failed to write it in the incident report or contact me about it.

"As far as I'm concerned, she has failed her duty of care. I'm not happy about it at all."

Jenna says students are supposed to be sent home with slips if they have an accident at school, but Taylen was given nothing.

She is also fuming that he was given incorrect advice on how to treat his wounds.

"Nobody called me to say he would require medical attention," she said.

"I had to call 111 and take him to the hospital.

"But I learned the teacher gave him the wrong information as she said he should put ice on it. You're not supposed to put ice on burns."

It's not acceptable, it's as simple as that.

Jenna, from Enfield, said she understands the teacher pulled a few students out of normal class to make a cardboard structure for the school library and must have left the kids unattended. 

"There seems to have been no health and safety procedures at all," she added. 

"If they had just called and said, 'hi mum, just to let you know he's burned his hand so keep an eye on it', it would have been fine. 

"It's not acceptable, it's as simple as that."

The school has since apologised and launched an investigation into the incident.

Christalla Jamil, CEO of LDBS Academies Trust which runs Meridian Angel Primary, said: "We are very sorry that an accident took place in school on Friday involving a child and a glue gun.

"We have taken immediate action and locked all glue guns away and made a full apology to the family.

Read More on The Sun

Tesco shoppers have just TWO WEEKS to spend £17million of Clubcard vouchers

Beauty fans go crazy for a painless hair eraser that gets rid of strawberry legs

"An investigation is underway to establish exactly what happened and we have made provision for this child’s home schooling whilst they recover.

"I have also invited the family to a meeting as the Academy Trust CEO to assure them of our support and co-operation."

    Source: Read Full Article