Police searching for missing woman find 'human remains' in landfill site

HUMAN remains are believed to have been found by Police at a landfill site amid a search for a missing woman.  

Kelly 'Ju' Zhang was last seen at her home in Epping, Melbourne, at about 5.30pm on February 1.

Zhang's boyfriend, Joon Seong Tan, 35, was subsequently charged with her murder on February 10 and arrested at Melbourne Airport as Police struggled to pertain where the missing body was located.

But, on Tuesday, local authorities began an “intense search" at Wollert landfill which concluded in the discovery of what is believed to be remains at around 2pm on Friday.

The location has now become a crime scene and is currently being examined by detectives.

Authorities confirmed that the remains are yet to be formally identified.

The tragic news comes as Police confirmed that said Ms Zhang's parents had arrived several weeks ago from China, having completed quarantine.

They had been described as “devastated” as they awaited news, having “refused to believe that Ju has passed away.”

Crime Command Assistant Commissioner Bob Hill said in a statement: "I commend the Missing Persons Squad, Crime Command and other members of Victoria Police for their tireless efforts during this investigation." 

"Our members have worked under very difficult and trying conditions to ensure that every avenue of enquiry has been exhausted so we could provide answers to Ju's family and friends.

"We know this has been an incredibly difficult and traumatic time for them. We hope that this will bring the closure they need and Ju can finally be laid to rest."

Following her disappearance, Zhangs boyfriend Joon Seong Tan, had allegedly told detectives that Ms Zhang left her eight-year-old son at home when she went for a walk with no shoes on.

At the time, she was believed to be wearing a pink nightgown and pink slippers.

Investigators described the mother’s disappearance as "extremely out of character" as they started to mount a number of searches across the Darebin Creek in the Heidelberg West and Alphington areas.

On February 12, Tan, 35, appeared in court, where it was revealed detectives were trawling through 3,500 hours of CCTV footage in relation to the case.

He now remains in custody and is expected to appear in Melbourne Magistrates Court on July 16.

"The investigation into the matter remains ongoing," a Victoria Police spokesperson said.

    Source: Read Full Article