Teen rugby player dies in hospital days after horror lift fall killed his dad

The Daily Star’s FREE newsletter is spectacular! Sign up today for the best stories straight to your inbox

A teenager has died days after a horror lift accident that killed his dad.

Clayton Bottomley, 18, from Wakefield in West Yorkshire, was left fighting for his life after being taken to hospital following the incident on Wednesday, May 19.

The former rugby league player was working on the Unity building site in Liverpool with his dad when disaster struck. His dad, David, 53, was killed in the incident.

Tributes to the teenager have poured in on social media after he lost his battle over the weekend.

"I write this with a heavy heart to inform you all that one of our junior players Clayton Bottomley has sadly passed away after a horrific accident," Rick Brown posted in a public group for Lock Lane RLFC in Castleford yesterday.

"Clayton joined Lock Lane in the Under 12s and played through to the under 16s

"He was raw at first but soon got into the game, a very determined player to do well. He never took a backward step and gave 100% every game. He used to bring his large speaker on match day to get the team moral up in the changing room, he was a true team player.

"No parent should have to lose their child and our thoughts and prayers go out to his mum Paula and his sister Molly who he adored.

  • Italy cable car victim sent chilling message moments before horror accident killed 14

"This has had a massive impact on our team our club and the whole community.

"You well never be forgotten, may you rest in peace Clayton from everyone at the club."

It is thought the incident occurred when an external construction lift suddenly collapsed.

Last week a friend of the Bottomley family told the Liverpool Echo the father and son were "inseparable."

  • Westside Plaza: Explosions heard outside shopping centre as 'three vehicles set on fire'

The man, who asked not to be named, said: "They were both inseparable and very much peas in a pod."

The friend said David was a highly experienced insulation fitter and had worked at the site in Liverpool city centre for the past two years.

He said that Clayton was a talented Rugby League player who had once played for Castleford Tigers.

Last week The Health and Safety Executive confirmed they have launched an investigation into the accident.

Laing O’Rourke, who are the lead contractors on the site, have confirmed that the company would cooperate fully with the HSE investigation.

Get latest news headlines delivered free

Want all the latest shocking news and views from all over the world straight into your inbox?

We've got the best royal scoops, crime dramas and breaking stories – all delivered in that Daily Star style you love.

Our great newsletters will give you all you need to know, from hard news to that bit of glamour you need every day. They'll drop straight into your inbox and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.

You can sign up here – you won't regret it…

A Laing O’Rourke spokesperson said: "We can confirm there was an incident at the Unity Building in which two men were seriously injured. Tragically, one of the men died at the scene and the second is in a critical condition in hospital.

"Our Health and Safety team is at the site and we and our sub-contractors will cooperate fully with the investigation into what happened. Our thoughts are with the family and friends of the men at this extremely difficult time."

A spokesman for the Health and Safety Executive said: "HSE are aware and are investigating with the police."

  • Hospital
  • Teenagers
  • In the News
  • Family

Source: Read Full Article