Sutton Foster: Scott Rudin’s ‘Music Man’ exit is ‘only positive outcome’
Producer Scott Rudin apologizes for ‘bullying’ behavior
Is this the double-ended secret of Goopy Gwyneth’s bliss
Scott Rudin’s alleged abusive behavior detailed by ex-staffers
Scott Rudin plans to step back from all of his upcoming projects, after his former staffers accused him of abusive workplace behavior.
The 62-year-old mogul — who has been accused of bullying underlings — had first said on Saturday that he was “stepping back” from his Broadway endeavors, but on Tuesday added that he would also stop his work in other media as well.
“It’s clear to me I should take the same path in film and streaming. I am profoundly sorry for the pain my behavior has caused and I take this step with a commitment to grow and change,” the producer said via Variety.
When Rudin first said over the weekend he would take a hiatus from the Great White Way, he apologized for his behavior, which some workers said caused them to develop ulcers.
“After a period of reflection, I’ve made the decision to step back from active participation on our Broadway productions, effective immediately,” he said in a statement. “My roles will be filled by others from the Broadway community and in a number of cases, from the roster of participants already in place on those shows.”
Actress Sutton Foster expressed her happiness that he was leaving “The Music Man” during an Instagram Live chat shortly afterward.
“I am so honored to be a part of ‘The Music Man,’ and I can’t wait to create an incredible, safe, inclusive, loving environment for everyone involved, and that is all I care about moving forward,” the “Younger” star said.
“Moulin Rouge!” star Karen Olivo also announced that she planned to leave her role as Satine in the Broadway show to protest Rudin’s behavior.
He was also working on Netflix’s “Woman in the Window” and “The Humans” for A24. Staffers for those shows have not commented as of publication.
Ex-employees first made their allegations against Rudin to The Hollywood Reporter earlier this month. In the cover story which dubbed him a “bully,” he was accused of smashing an Apple computer monitor on an assistant’s hand in 2012. The assistant had to visit the emergency room for their injuries.
Andrew Coles, who was an assistant at the time, told the publication, “We were all shocked because we didn’t know that that sort of thing could happen in that office.”
“We knew a lot could happen. There were the guys that were sleeping in the office, the guys whose hair was falling out and were developing ulcers. It was a very intense environment, but that just felt different. It was a new level of unhinged — a level of lack of control that I had never seen before in a workplace.”
Caroline Rugo also accused Rudin of throwing a glass bowl at a colleague during her tenure at his company in 2018 and another assistant accused him of throwing a baked potato at his head when he did not have an answer to a question.
Rudin declined to comment on the allegations to The Hollywood Reporter.
A rep for Rudin didn’t immediately get back to us.
Share this article:
Source: Read Full Article