Six ways to get help worth up to £5,330 as energy bills set to soar to £2,800, Bank of England warns

MILLIONS of households face another major bill hike as the Bank of England warned that inflation could hit 10%.

Many are already struggling after the energy price cap shot up 54% adding hundreds of pounds to household bills.

A further increase in October is expected to push up bills by another 40%, the Bank of England has warned.

That would see the average cost of gas and electric rise by another £800 hitting £2,800.

The central bank has said the surging energy costs will help push inflation to 10% by the end of the year.

And the country could be pushed into recession, the economic experts warned, as it announced an increase to interest rates.

Read more on bills

We’re Britain’s savviest sisters, we save £500 a MONTH on our food bills

Energy prepayment meter help you can get as record numbers cut themselves off

The BoE hiked the base rate to 1% in a bid to keep inflation under control.

But it will add more to household borrowing costs, including hundreds of pounds to mortgage costs for some homeowners.

Help is available from a range of organisations, including suppliers, charities, the government and local councils.

And it could be worth hundreds or even thousands of pounds – here's what you could get and how to apply.

Most read in Money


Gordon Ramsay sells Cornwall home for £7.5M in county's 'biggest-ever deal'


Netflix viewers warned they should check their direct debits for £15.99 charge


Martin Lewis reveals easy check to do NOW or risk losing out in retirement


Interest rates rise to 1% adding £612 a year to mortgages

Energy supplier grant – up to £750

Energy suppliers are offering cash grants to those hardest hit by bills rises.

For instance Shell Energy and British Gas have increased their own hardship funds to help customers.

And Octopus Energy has increased its financial hardship fund, Octo Assist, from £2.5million to £5million.

But the amount can vary according to your supplier and your circumstances.

If you're on benefits or have a low income you could qualify. Ask your supplier what's on offer and how to apply.

There are also grants available that could support you making bill payments.

There are around 8,000 charities and organisations in the UK that offer cash to help struggling families.

This could help with food, bills or buying essential white goods like a cooker or washing machine if you don't have the cash to hand.

Turn2Us has a free grants search tool so you can find out what help is available to you.

Council tax rebate – £190

Around 80% of households will get a £150 council tax rebate to help with the rising cost of living.

You will be eligible if you live in a property in council tax bands A to D.

If you pay your bill by direct debit, your local authority will automatically credit the refund to your account from this month.

It will be paid after you've settled your council tax bill for April, so the exact date will vary.

If you pay by another method, you will have to apply for the refund through your local council.

A separate £144million fund has also been launched which local councils can dish out to vulnerable and low income households in other bands.

Some councils like Camden have opened applications for the cash worth up to £150.

And the most hard-up households could even qualify for extra payments.

For instance in Bromley you could get £40 on top of the £150 bringing the total to £190.

Household support fund – up to £150

Local councils are giving out cash top help households struggling with bills and other essential costs.

Who qualifies and how much you can get depends on where you live.

The scheme was extended in March, so if you missed out last time, you've got another chance to apply.

For instance Runnymede council in Surrey was giving out £150 through the household support fund earlier this year.

To see what's available where you are, and to apply, you'll need to check with your local council.

You can search for yours using the search tool on – just enter your postcode.

Local councils also offer welfare assistance schemes all year round that can help you with bills too

Council tax discount – as much as £1,898

Some households on low incomes could be eligible for a discount on their council tax bill.

As one of the biggest bills for households and the worst consequences if you get behind, finding out if you can get a reduction could help you get by.

In some cases you could even get your bill reduced to zero and with the average bill for a band D home at £1,898, that could save a significant sum.

To find out if you're eligible and apply you'll need to contact your local council – you can find yours using the tool, just enter your postcode.

New bill discount scheme – £200

The government has announced the every single household will get a £200 discount on their energy bill this year.

This is part of a package of support designed to help Brits struggling as costs rise and will be applied automatically, but not until October.

The money does have to be paid back, but it will be in the form of £40 added to annual bills over five years from next year.

Martin Lewis has explained how the scheme will work and that it's more like a levy than a loan – here's what he said.

Unclaimed benefits – £2,142

Even if you're getting the state pension now, you could be entitled to more.

Charity Turn2us estimates that at least seven million people across the UK are missing out on over £15 billion of unclaimed benefits – an average of £2,142 a year each.

A whopping £1.7billion a year in Pension Credit alone is going spare, and is worth as much as £3,300 a year to those on low incomes in retirement

You can find free-to-use online benefits calculators to work out what you're entitled to.

There are several out there, including from Turn2US, EntitledTo and Poilicy in Practice.

Once you've used the tools you can use the contact information on to get the ball rolling and apply for what you're owed.

The tools only provide an indicator of what benefits you can claim – and usually don't include means-tested benefits, so you may be entitled to even more.

Read More on The Sun

Defiant Boris Johnson shrugs off ‘tough night’ of election losses

Man who had penis on arm offered saucy proposition by Kate Beckinsale

For example, you will usually qualify for extra financial help if you have disabled child or you're a carer.

If you're struggling with your energy bills, here's how to approach your supplier and the help they can offer including prepayment vouchers.

We pay for your stories!

Do you have a story for The Sun Online Money team?

Email us at [email protected]

    Source: Read Full Article