Hard-up households to get £170 free cash in the post within weeks – do you qualify? | The Sun

HARD-UP households can get £170 free cash sent to them in the post within weeks.

The cost of living crisis has forced everyone to tighten their purse strings.

But those on low-incomes could get extra help – and it doesn't need to be paid back.

The help comes via the Household Support Fund, which is worth £842million.

The money has come from the Government which has distributed it among councils in England.

They then decide how to share their portion of the fund.

Read more in money

Households can get £350 cash boost to help with food, bills and school uniforms

Three household items we ALL have that are secretly killing your Wi-Fi speed

That means what you can get depends on where you live, but in most cases help is offered to those on a low income or benefits.

The type of support on offer varies as well – some local authorities are offering out food or utility bill vouchers while others are making bank transfers.

For example, residents in the London Borough of Merton could get £170 free cash.

The money will be provided to those who did not get the earlier Household Support Fund payments because they receive housing benefit instead of council tax support.

Most read in Money


Martin Lewis issues urgent warning for Tesco Clubcard holders


Asda makes major change to discounts – and shoppers are furious


Our village is becoming a ghost town after 2 of its 3 pubs closed within hours


Two huge mobile firms with 27m customers to merge… what it means for your bills

You do not need to apply for the £170.

Those who qualify will be sent a voucher in the post in early July 2023.

If you receive council tax support, then you could get £60 sent to you in the post.

Like with the £170 voucher, you do not need to apply and it will be sent to you in the post.

However, this payment won't be sent until October 2023.

On top of that, residents can also apply for a fuel voucher from Merton council.

You'll be eligible if you:

  • are 65 years old or over OR
  • Have a long-term condition or disability OR
  • Have a low income OR
  • Is getting support from a frontline council or third-party service such as Occupational Therapy, Social Services, Age UK, and Citizens Advice.

You can apply by either email or phone with the details below:

  • Full name
  • Address with postcode
  • Contact telephone number
  • Brief outline of the reason for the booking or referral (e.g. “high gas bill” or “home very cold” etc.)

The email is [email protected] or the number is 0800 118 23 27.

Can I get help if I don't live in Merton?

Yes you can. But what you can get depends on where you live as each council has been given a unique share of the £842million pot.

For example, households in Torridge are in line for payments worth up to £1,000.

And those living in Durham can get £150 free cash for food and other essential bills.

Plus, people living in North Somerset can get £120 to go towards supermarket costs.

The £120 will be paid in two installments – one in the summer and one in the winter.

The application process varies from area to area too.

The best thing to do is contact your local council to see what help is on offer and if you have to take any action.

You can do this by using the Government's locator tool found on its website.

But you might want to be quick as competition for the fund is fierce and once a council has depleted its share, there's no more left.

That said, the Household Support Fund has been extended multiple times since it was first launched in October 2021 so it might be extended again when the current batch closes, in March 2024.

What other help is available?

Millions are also in line to receive cost of living payments worth up to £1,350.

The first instalment of the £900 payment has been paid to millions on certain benefits, including Universal Credit and Pension Credit.

Meanwhile, a £150 payment and between £150-£300 payment will be made to millions with disabilities and pensioners this month.

You may be entitled to the £150 disability cost of living payment if you receive any of the following benefits:

  • Attendance Allowance
  • Constant Attendance Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance for adults
  • Disability Living Allowance for children
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Adult Disability Payment (in Scotland)
  • Child Disability Payment (in Scotland)
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • War Pension Mobility Supplement

Plus, pensioners who are entitled to a Winter Fuel Payment for winter 2023/24 will get an extra £150 or £300 paid on top of their normal payment from November this year.

You will be eligible for a Winter Fuel Payment this winter if you were born before September 25, 1957.

Those eligible for the payment will receive a letter in October and November telling them how much money to expect.

Energy suppliers also offer plenty of energy grants and schemes to help you out if you're struggling.

Here's a list of schemes open right now:

  • British Gas Energy Trust Individuals and Family Fund
  • British Gas Energy Trust
  • EDF Customer Support Fund
  • E.ON and E.ON Next Grants
  • Octopus Energy Assist Fund
  • OVO Energy
  • Scottish Power Hardship Fund

Read more on The Sun

Mum shares tip so you can leave your paddling pool out overnight & keep bugs away

Alison ‘heartbroken’ over Holly row after ex-This Morning co-star’s claims

There's a one-off fuel voucher from your energy supplier if you're on a prepayment meter.

Do you have a money problem that needs sorting? Get in touch by emailing [email protected]

Source: Read Full Article